Until then please accept my apology. Version 1.6 of the Total Cost Model was not uploaded correctly and could not be downloaded for several days. It is annoying to get the “File not found” redirection page, I know. However, that has been fixed. You can get it now at https://rlbcontractor.com/total-cost-model.
While there were some much-needed fixes added to version 1.5 to make the Total Cost Model 1.6 more user-friendly and functional, work on a newer version is nearly complete. It includes more spelling fixes, more error handling, and less code clutter plus a few new features to make things easier.
Testing and the final code “brush-up” is being done on 1.7 and it should be available in a few more days. The fixes, enhancements, and new features are described below. Until it is released version 1.6 is now downloadable.
New features and fixes
The Options form received much of the updating, it now has 4 more selectable items. They address hiding (or unhiding) Excel’s comments which are used as a “pop-up” help on the worksheets and the visibility of the “hidden” columns. In the following image, they are the 4 options at the end of the list of checkboxes.
Normally I tend to hide columns that store variables and provide additional calculations. Using hidden cells for calculations helps shorten the length of my formulas and reduces their complexity. The ones on the Total Cost Model may actually help you to understand the relationship between the cost factors. So it is now your choice to hide or not to hide.
Some of the other additions included in version 1.7 of the Total Cost Model are:
- More error handlers and fixes to make the existing ones more robust.
- Spelling and user interface corrections.
- The Concepts and Instructions worksheet has been updated with new graphics and text.
- Removal of unused Document Properties and some marginal global variables.
- Several globally used variables and properties have been moved to cells in the hidden columns on the Common Data worksheet for easier processing and maintenance.
- Many local variables have been removed.
- Numerous code enhancements.
Version 1.7 will be uploaded in the coming few days. As usual, you will be able to get it at https://rlbcontractor.com/total-cost-model.